Lawsuit Alleges TWIA Fraudulently Reduced Claim Estimates From Hurricane Beryl
Article 0 Comments Three Texas homeowners filed a federal racketeering lawsuit last week alleging that the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association fraudulently reduced claim estimates for properties damaged by Hurricane Beryl. The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, alleges TWIA partnered with a vendor who made significant alterations to the original claims estimate made by a field adjuster. TWIA then sent the estimate to the policyholder under the premise that the estimate was the original, the lawsuit says. Plaintiffs allege that they lost tens of thousands of dollars due to the scheme. For one policyholder, the original field adjuster estimate was $91,000, but the altered estimate came out to $31,000, a reduction of 66%. The plaintiffs are seeking a class action under the federal RICO Act. The lawsuit does not rely on violations of Texas insurance law as the predicate acts for the RICO claim. Hurricane Beryl made landfall on the Texas Gulf Coast on July 8, 2024, as a Category 1 hurricane. TWIA, the state-created insurer of last resort for wind and hail, has reported $336 million in Hurricane Beryl claim payments to approximately 34,000 policyholders. Aaron Taylor, a TWIA spokesman, said the organization’s practice...