Kansas Town Settles Lawsuit with Former Reporter Over Controversial Police Raid
Article 0 Comments A small Kansas town has agreed to pay $850,000 to a former reporter at its weekly newspaper to end her federal lawsuit over a police raid of the paper’s offices in 2023 that ignited a national furor over press freedom. Now-retired Marion County Record reporter Phyllis Zorn said in her lawsuit that the raid violated press freedoms and protections from unreasonable law enforcement searches guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. She also said it almost immediately led to health problems, causing the return of potentially life-threatening seizures that had been controlled for years with medication. Zorn’s attorney, Randy Rathbun, and an attorney for the city Marion, Jennifer Hill, filed a joint statement Tuesday — the third anniversary of the raid on the newspaper’s offices — that Zorn’s lawsuit was being dismissed. It was among the lawsuits filed in federal court against local officials over the raids of the newspaper’s offices, the home of Publisher Eric Meyer and the home of a former City Council member. Rathbun did not immediately return a phone message Wednesday seeking comment. Another attorney for the city, Scott Ufford, declined to comment about the settlement but confirmed the amount. Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody...